At the beginning of the 19th century, Munich had about 50 000 inhabitants. But because of the high immigration and a birth-surplus that number grew up to 500 000 at 1890. The result of the rise in population were five overcrowded high schools in Munich with 3500 pupils.
In a discussion of the deputy chamber in 1900 it was alluded to the critical condition of the high schools and it was concluded that a new high school was to be built or new rooms had to be charted.
Finally, the financial committee of the deputy chamber decided to build the Wittelsbacher Gymnasium with a vote of 66 to 55.
Possible sites for building the school were extensively discussed in the press and communal bodies. Finally, a location was chosen by the Finance Committee of the Chamber of Deputies in mid-March 1906 – the “Champ de Mars” at Pranckhstraße. The Allgemeine Zeitung (March 17, 1906) describes the advantage of the situation of the new school: The school is 7 to 8 minutes away from the central station and may therefore count on a significant attendance from Laim and Pasing. With a new tram line nearby, the new high school can be accessed easily.
For this space, an area of approximately 7300 square meters was assigned, for the construction 573 000 marks were granted, so that on September 17, 1906 consturction started.
In August 1907 the building was completed in time for the start of a new school term, a fact which was also noted in those days as very positive. The total cost amounted to 649 580 Mark. On June 26,1907 the first yearbook states that "His Royal Highness Prince Luitpold, regent of the Kingdom of Bavaria, moved graciously to assignate to the sixth humanistic grammar school in Munich the name 'Wittelsbacher Gymnasium”.